Kew HouseLucas Family
An experimental project, driven by an interest in prefabrication and the self-build possibilities emerging from digital fabrication.
Set within the Kew Green Conservation area of south-west London, this four bedroom family house is formed of two prefabricated weathering steel volumes inserted behind a retained nineteenth century stable wall.
layout is informal; rich with incidental spaces and unexpected light
sources. A delicate glazed circulation link reveals the contrast
between a rustic exterior and refined interior. Split into two wings,
the simple plan makes the most of a constrained site and responds to
the living patterns of the young family.
House was an experimental project, driven by the architect's and
client's shared interest in a 'kit-of-parts' approach,
prefabrication, and the self-build possibilities emerging from digital fabrication.
- Lucas Family
- Kew, London
- Gross Floor Area:
- 3,960 sqft
- Completed January 2014
- RIBA House of the Year 2015, finalist
- RIBA National Award 2015
- Surface Design Housing Exterior Award 2015
- BD Architect of the Year One-off House Award 2014
- Blueprint Magazine Best Non-Public Award 2014
- FX Design UK Project Award 2014
- Price & Myers, Structural Engineer
- Arup, Service Engineer
- CSI Hull, Cladding Contractor
- Sam Lucas, Interior fit-out
- Tim & Jo Lucas, Main Contractor
- Jack Hobhouse, Photographer