Clerkenwell Lifestyle UK
This complex scheme in the heart of Clerkenwell combines a 146 room hotel and new affordable housing block, supported by the sensitive refurbishment and extension of a Victorian Ragged School building to create 25,000ft2 of flexible workspace.
The eight storey hotel features a contemporary, but heavily textured, deep facade of folding case masonry piers. This play of shadows, angles, glass and pigmented stone is set against a view of the Ragged School's historic and distinctive crenelated tower, which itself acts as a pivot for a series of new publicly accessible external courtyards inspired by Clerkenwell's many tightly knit streets and alleys.
Completing the new tripartite composition of buildings is a tall, thin block of affordable housing which benefits from dual and triple aspect apartments with views over Clerkenwell. The building's 3-bay brickwork facade and articulated gable end is redolent of the Georgian terraced housing that used to line Eyre Street Hill on the eastern edge of the site
- Clerkenwell Lifestyle UK
- Clerkenwell, London
- RIBA Stage 3, Planning consented
- Clerkenwell Lifestyle (UK) Ltd, Client
- Heyne Tillet Steel, Structural Engineering
- DP9, Planning Consultant
- Tower Eight, Project Manager
- Peter Stewart Consultancy, Heritage Consultant
- Eight Associates, BREEAM & Sustainability Consultants
- Applied Energy, M&E Engineer